Saturday, December 6, 2008

Suburban Kids in the City

Today Marcus and I took the boys and traveled to downtown Dallas for the annual Neiman Marcus Adolphus Children's Christmas Parade. The train on the way there was crowded but the boys loved being able to stand up while traveling. Once we got to Akard Station we followed all the other parents and children in search of a good place to watch the festivities.

Granted this our first year to make it the Dallas parade. (Typically I take the boys to Plano's which is always on the same day as Dallas'.) So I was not prepared for Myles when he started to whine that he needed to go to the bathroom. Of course where we were there was nothing! We sacrificed our spot and went in search of a public restroom (yuck!) I guess all the stores down there anticipated the crowds and many had signs posted "No Public Restroom." The best we could do was a string of port-a-potties (gross). After that little nightmare we lucked into an even better spot to watch everything right next to where the news people broadcast during the parade.

We got to see the whole thing from start to finish! We met some really nice folks that took turns with us taking pictures of our families and we got to see our first ever televised parade in person, YAY! It really was neat with all the characters and giant balloons. Kamden had the best seat in the house on Marcus' shoulders so he would yell out everything before we ever saw it coming. On our way back to the train the boys gasped in awe at the buildings towering over them (walking around between them is way different than driving around them). The boys had trouble paying attention to where they were going and we had to keep reminding them to watch out as we walked in front of parking garage entrances and exits. My kids know to look out for driveways and alleys not parking garages, lol.

We got to play around waiting for the train home and lucked out on getting a completely empty train. So that meant we could goof off on that too :-) The boys seemed so energetic and excited about the Holidays it inspired something in me. Kind of like magic I guess.

It was such an awesome day. We rounded everything out by spending the afternoon in Commerce with our family. My mother-in-law was very surprised to see us and I think she thought we may not come after all. I know how much she loves to see the boys and since her birthday is on Monday I know it meant alot to her that we came. I seriously have the best in-laws. Tomorrow is Allen's Christmas parade and while it probably won't compare to today's our town has such a cozy fun feeling that I know we will enjoy it none the less. For the first time in years I am super excited about this Holiday Season!

No comments: