Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tired of Turkey?

Tired of Turkey? I cooked a 22lb turkey this year and thankfully due to a full house and my insistence that family take at least half of the left overs I did not end up with a ton of leftover turkey or ham :-)

But none the less I had just enough for this super easy recipe for those of you who are done with turkey sandwiches or just plain ol' reheated turkey. Anyone up for some turkey pot pie?

Ingredients:
3 small to medium potatoes (peeled, chopped and boiled)
1-1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen peas and carrots (carrots sliced or chopped)
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
two pie crusts (I make mine from scratch but you can cheat and buy the rolled dough ones)
Of course left over turkey (or chicken)

*I generally don't cook from a recipes so the above are estimations and can be adjusted to suit your taste.

In a bowl combine the soup, potatoes (already cooked), peas, carrots and turkey. Season the mixture to taste. I personally prefer some kosher salt and ground black pepper but on occasion I will experiment so have fun with it :-)
Lay one pie crust in the bottom of a pie pan. Pour in your pie filling and then cover with second crust. Don't forget to cut slits for venting. Bake at 425 for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven and crusts. I find that I have to cook mine longer due the the homemade crust.

Anyway, it's like a meal all in one and even my kids eat this! Not to mention they like to roll out the dough and mix stuff so you can get everyone involved in this one simple dish :-)

1 comment:

James said...

This sounds yummy. Basically you are making a pot pie! I will have to give this a try.